Intrepid Investment Bankers LLC (“Intrepid”), a leading middle-market investment bank, announced today that it served as the exclusive financial advisor to Shield Healthcare (“Shield” or the “Company”) on its sale of a majority ownership position to Henry Schein, Inc. (NASDAQ: HSIC), the world’s largest provider of health care solutions to office-based dental and medical practitioners.
Founded in 1957 and headquartered in Valencia, CA, Shield is one of the largest independent value-added distributors of essential medical supplies for patients and caregivers managing care in the home. The Company’s diversified product catalog includes durable and consumable medical products for a wide range of patient diagnoses, including incontinence, enteral nutrition, ostomy, urology, and advanced wound care. Shield operates across a nationwide footprint to provide superior solutions centered around improving patient outcomes and providing exceptional customer service and patient satisfaction.
“Over the years, the Shield team has differentiated themselves with a stellar reputation and unique business model providing essential medical products to patients with critical in-home needs,” said Adam Abramowitz, Managing Director and Head of Healthcare at Intrepid. “Their passion and dedication to innovation and customer satisfaction have been key forces driving their success amidst an everchanging industry. We are proud to have represented the Company in this landmark transaction and are excited to see what they will accomplish in the future with Henry Schein as they expand to serve more communities across the nation and beyond.”
Why This Deal Matters
- Tremendous scarcity of home medical supplier assets of size and scale
- As care is increasingly delivered in the home, companies will continue to look to the home health sector to maintain growth and market share
- A broad product offering is critical to acquiring and retaining patients with chronic conditions that may require products and services across multiple categories
- Nationwide reach helps drive synergies to unlock cross-selling opportunities
- Proprietary operational and revenue cycle software and technology assets are highly coveted by providers and value-added distributors to excel in complex payor landscapes